Sunday, October 3, 2010

Workshop - Observing Instruction

For one of our seminar workshops, I was tasked with observing instruction.  Since I was observing another teacher already for another course, I pulled double-duty and made notes for this class as well.  This was in an Eighth Grade Algebra classroom, and they were working with Order of Operations.

Long story short, I will now reflect on a few questions I've been considering about teaching, and how I believe that I am working on them (and who I might be discussing them with):

1. How can we include all the benefits of using a remote/clicker system without the hassle that comes with it?
Jacob and I have been talking about this quite a bit.  He has proposed a few things already, given that his unit is quickly approaching, but I'm still in the thinking stage.  The immediate feedback on student performance is the biggest benefit of using the remotes, but many students get frustrated whilst using them.  Technology should never hinder learning, and thus I have a problem with the CPS system.

2.  Is being well-liked by my students something I should consider, or should I focus more on respect?
For the longest time, I had it in my mind that I should aim to be well-liked by my students, but whenever the subject is brought up, it's been emphasized that this is a slippery slope.  Rather, students should respect you (me) as the leader of classroom.  I'm torn.  I need to find someone whom I can discuss this more openly with.

3.  How much lesson planning goes into a unit?
I've posted this as a concern before, I think but I'm still not sure.  I now have my unit material nailed down, so I need to start thinking about planning, but I really don't know how to allocate time.  In all of my classes, we've been talking about lesson planning, so that's good news.

---

Otherwise, not much went on last week.  We had a crazy few days, given the schedule changes, us missing school for a PD day, me observing two other classes on Thursday, and having a half day on Friday.

Unit plan = impending.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Are being respected and well liked mutually exclusive? Is one more important to being able to accomplish your objectives than the others?

Keep thinking about how to make best use of the clickers. You are right to think about both what they add to learning and what they take away.