Sunday, November 28, 2010

Last few weeks of the semester.

Boy, that snuck up on me in a hurry!

I'm trying to make a mad dash to get as much of my portfolio finished as I can before class on Tuesday.  It has quite literally gone untouched for several weeks leading up until today.  I have been so overwhelmingly busy with everything else that it felt nice to just relax and be lazy over the long weekend.  Getting back into gear today was quite the battle of wills.  I actually cleaned my room as a form of prolonging the inevitable.

Regardless, I got 5 portions of my portfolio finished tonight, and it feels pretty damn good.  If only there weren't a significant chunk to go!  I'm not looking forward to doing the Outside Resources or Equity Project portion, so I'll just put those off a little longer... :)

As for teaching in the classroom, I feel like my role has been significantly diminished.  It sounds like I will go back to doing the opening questions like I did for the first half of the semester, which seems so long ago!  I still have two tests to grade tomorrow in class, but after that, my unit is completely finished.  It feels so weird to not have to lesson plan or stress out about grading tests anymore.  Weird, but good!

I honestly don't know if there is something else I need to be doing in the classroom.  I suppose I will wander around and help out where I'm needed.  I now know how Mr. Martin must've felt during my unit - and it makes sense that he was always looking for something to do.  I feel like the last few weeks is going to be boring!

As for my unit as a whole, I feel like it went pretty well.  If I'm considering how my students did, their test scores indicate that my feelings are accurate.  There were a few young ladies who completely bombed both tests, but I have a hard time feeling bad for them.  I approached each of them to see if I could offer additional help, and gave them opportunities to earn back some points on their tests, but neither of them took me up on either offer.  You can only lead a horse to water, right?

In other news, I hope to be hearing from Allendale about my student teaching placement for next semester this week.  Just to have official word will be nice.

:)

1 comment:

John Golden said...

Wow the portfolio is worse than room cleaning?

Just try to make it useful for yourself. Outside resources - seems like you've drawn on a lot of resources.

I also think you've probably though about diversity in your classroom a lot already. What did you do differently for different students and how did it work out?