Sunday, November 21, 2010

Last Week of my Unit

Wow, that went by very quickly!

Tomorrow and Tuesday are my last two days of the unit, and it feels very good to know that I won't have to do any more planning or stressing out about my students and I can focus on the other stuff I need to finish for the COE.  I still need to grade the test that I gave out on Friday, so that is my plan for Monday night.

Frankly, it seems that there isn't anything else exciting going on.  I got my classroom management plan done, so that's one less thing to stress out about.  The only two things left on my plate are the Multi-Genre project for my literacy class and the Placement Portfolio.  That one will actually take a bit of stress yet... Thanksgiving break should give me the time I need.

In other news, it sounds like there might be a secondary teaching placement opening in my old high school.  I have quite a few friends in the right places that it could work out nicely.  I'm going to do a bit of probing to see what I need to do to initiate the right 'first contact' and so that I can express interest before the position is filled.

Hm... what else is going on?  Well, I ran into an issue with the test that I gave on Friday.  There was nothing wrong with the test, per se, but there were a few people who needed the whole hour to take the test.  This is not unexpected, but what was unexpected was the inability of the rest of the students to refrain from talking so as to not distract those still taking the test.  It was downright disrespectful, and I'm disappointed that even with a very explicit reasoning that students are still testing, they could muster no sympathy.  It's partially my fault for not having something specific for them to work on, but I did give options for those who finished early, and they refused them.

Ugh, it was frustrating.  If my unit wasn't concluding, I would definitely make it a point that such actions would not be tolerated.

Well, I guess this is a short blog post this week.  Not much else to share.

1 comment:

John Golden said...

The test thing is a bummer. What would you have done if it was not the end of your unit?

Would you like to go back to your HS?